From Alex Huang <Alex.Hu...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] releases going forward
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2012 20:56:31 GMT

Here's my $.02 on this.

I am +1 on shorter releases.  But I don't think it's practical to do right now.

Here's my reasoning.  We pushed out 4.0 release.  A lot of it was to make it compatible with
apache licensing.  But, for me at least, it's also because it didn't make sense to not have
an apache release after being contributed to apache for six months.  However, we identified
a lot of things in this release: unit testing, review process, doc process, lack of infrastructure,
automated testing, long test cycles.   I don't know how it was for Chip but for me it was
quite frustrating.

To me we have to regroup as a community and tackle each of these issues before our next big
release.  So for me, what Kevin proposed actually makes sense until we've tackled these issues.
 Now, we don't have to get everything perfect but we should figure out how we're going to
improve and how to measure that improvement release to release.

--Alex