From Radhika Puthiyetath <radhika.puthiyet...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [Discuss] User Comment Functionality for the ASFCS Doc Pages
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2012 04:11:24 GMT
Hi,

Improving documentation is always our priority. What I am suggesting is a "nice-to-have" feature
in the future.

This was one of the earlier items that the doc team charted along with other things, such
as auto-build.

The comments are usually monitored and responded by the doc team itself.  We can definitely
do some R&D around Publican to devise such a mechanism.

I felt receiving comments from readers is as important as getting the number of random visits.

Jessica, please share your suggestions as well.

Thanks
-Radhika

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Brockmeier [mailto:jzb@zonker.net]
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 10:54 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Discuss] User Comment Functionality for the ASFCS Doc Pages

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012, at 11:09 AM, Radhika Puthiyetath wrote:
> Hi Community,
>
> Analytics discussion reminded me of this functionality of most product
> documentation pages: Leave a Comment/ User comments.
>
> Could we integrate "Leave a Comment" functionality to the Apache
> CloudStack Documentation pages?

The questions that come to mind immediately:

- Technically, how would you accomplish this? We use Apache CMS for the site - it does not
have commenting functionality. The docs are published with Publican, which doesn't provide
any commenting functionality.

Now - it's not impossible, but it's a feature that seems less important to me than working
to improve the state of the docs in general. (Which still need work.)

- Who's going to monitor, and respond to, the comments? Who's going to manage spam filtering?

Best,

Joe
--
Joe Brockmeier