From Abhijith Chandrashekar <Abhijith.Chandrashe...@citrix.com>
Subject DevCloud setup documentation
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2012 00:52:54 GMT
Hi everybody,

I started a week ago with the process of setting up DevCloud on my Macintosh by importing
DevCloud.ova onto VirtualBox. First,  I took the wrong step of building using ant and then
I discovered that the build process had moved on to maven. As I went through this guide -
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+devcloud+environment+setup
- in trying to setup the CloudStack development environment, I ran into a bunch of errors
to which many of you have responded very kindly and promptly. The community seems very well-rooted
and very helpful.

Some of the errors I faced were fairly trivial and my own mistakes - once there wasn't enough
swap space and at one point I had the wrong version of maven installed. At other times, the
errors I faced seemed to be stemming from the lack of sufficient documentation about a particular
issue - jetty wasn't installing until I made changes to the pom.xml which I had to figure
out on my own, I had to make modifications to db.properties.override in the utils directory
before I could resolve the error with denial of access to the database for user 'root'@'localhost'.
The link to stackoverflow on the wiki wasn't much help there. I was just wondering if other
people have gone through similar issues, in which case, it might make sense to include them
in the wiki?

For starters, I think it should be specifically mentioned that one must use maven3 and not
any previous versions. I was using maven2 and the last step in starting the mgmt. server did
not execute.

How should I go about getting the items reviewed so that they can be added to the wiki?

Thanks,
Abhijith