From Jessica Wang <Jessica.W...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: Should we have separate "Count" API?
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2012 00:09:14 GMT
+1

-----Original Message-----
From: Min Chen [mailto:min.chen@citrix.com]
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2012 4:04 PM
To: Alena Prokharchyk; cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Should we have separate "Count" API?

Thanks Alena. Maybe we should support a query parameter "countOnly" or something for count
only case to avoid issuing extra sql queries.

-min

From: Alena Prokharchyk <Alena.Prokharchyk@citrix.com<mailto:Alena.Prokharchyk@citrix.com>>
Date: Monday, November 5, 2012 3:43 PM
To: "cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org<mailto:cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org>"
<cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org<mailto:cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org>>,
Min Chen <min.chen@citrix.com<mailto:min.chen@citrix.com>>

Min,

We didn't use separate call as well as didn't use resource count table because we "count"
field represents the number of DB resources matching the search criteria (ignoring page/pageSize
info) specified in the list* api call. For example:

listVirtualMachines&state=Running&hostId=1&page=1&pageSize=1

In the "count" field we expect to see the only how many vms in Running state, running on hostId=1
exist in the system; not the entire number of vms  in the system that we keep per account
in resource_count table.
And although only one vm object will be returned (as you requested page=1&pageSize=1),
you'll know how many vms in the system satisfy the search criteria.

As variation of parameters depends on particular API call, the count has to be returned as
a part of list* command response.

-Alena.