From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RFC] Refactoring CloudStack
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2012 08:52:37 GMT
Alex,

I looked at the powerpoint.

Could you elaborate a bit on the new deployment plans (slides 19-21). It seems that you are
aiming for more independent zones and a more reliable management layer, but I could not quite
picture how you would actually deploy this.

On the componentization: I think it's great, but will this result in separate applications
(like we AWSAPI now) ? and will these components still be tightly integrated from a packaging
installation point of view ? My concern being that we should still aim for a "one-click" install
of CloudStack versus several recipe to integrate many different components.

Last thing, which is really a software implementation choice, I was talking to the Java User
Group in Geneva and mentioned that the community was looking at moving to the Spring framework,
some folks were a little surprised, suggesting that there was better frameworks that could
be used.

thanks,

-Sebastien

On Nov 12, 2012, at 9:32 AM, Wido den Hollander <wido@widodh.nl> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> Just wanted to let you know that I'm going to take a good look at this.
>
> Wido
>
> On 11/09/2012 07:12 PM, Alex Huang wrote:
>> I sent out an email a couple of months ago about the need to refactor CloudStack
into small pieces.  At the time, the overall sentiment was the community is heavily invested
in releasing 4.0 and this should be brought up post 4.0.  Now that 4.0 has been released,
I like to bring this up again.  I created a powerpoint to illustrate that need.  Please take
a look at [1]

>> This work is related to Edison's Storage subsystem, Kelven's Spring, Murali's notification
system proposals.  The work is to be done in the javelin branch.