From Hari Kannan <hari.kan...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: VM Snapshot progress update
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2012 00:24:42 GMT
Hello Mice,

Thanks for this feature! After reading your document, I have a couple of questions:

Under the limitations section, can you please elaborate, in general, why those limitations
arise - is it because they are not implemented (in phase 1, for example due to lack of time
etc.) or they don’t make sense

Specifically, the limitation " VM's service offering is not allowed to change if there are
VM snapshots " - I wonder if we should allow this with a warning that the existing snapshots
are invalidated (for example)
Also, the limitation " Volume snapshot operations are mutually exclusive to VM snapshot operation
" - why?

Thank you!

Hari Kannan

-----Original Message-----
From: Mice Xia [mailto:mice_xia@tcloudcomputing.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2012 7:23 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: VM Snapshot progress update

Hi, Folks,

Sorry for the late update. I have been busy recently and haven’t updated this for awhile.
Yesterday I re-created vm-snapshot branch based on 4.0 branch and submitted refactorred codes
with KVM support.
Now the major parts have been done, and because this touches CS core, I would like to welcome
any suggestion, design/code review, tests and feedbacks of all forms.

[Document]
For a complete updated spec/design document, please see https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/VM+Snapshots

[Progress] (tested with simple scenario) Xenserver Free/Enterprise support VMware support
KVM support UI

[TBD]
Resource Limit
VM snapshot allocation size stat
Usage

[How to test]
1.please notice KVM needs a modified libvirt.jar (thanks Wido for providing it), to make KVM
VM snapshot work properly, it is required to replace the old libvirt-0.4.9.jar with this one.
http://people.apache.org/~mice/libvirt-0.4.9.jar

2.to test VMware support, apply Rohit’s 4.0 nonoss patch before compile/build http://bhaisaab.org/patches/cloudstack/0001-BUILD-Make-CloudStack-buildable-with-nonoss-libs.patch
http://bhaisaab.org/patches/cloudstack/0002-BUILD-nonoss-libs-for-CloudStack.patch

3.use Ant/Maven to build/debug, same with 4.0.

Regards
Mice