From Hugo Trippaers <HTrippa...@schubergphilis.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] All checkins must include unit testing
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2012 08:56:43 GMT
While I really like the idea of including a unittest with every commit, I don't feel very comfortable
with doing this right now. The current code coverage is pretty low and just adding new unittests
for commits might even give a false sense of security. Next to that, enforcing this through
technical means might prevent people from participating as we make the bar higher for anybody
willing to join. I'd rather have somebody submit a patch without a unittest and having to
do it myself, than not receiving the patch at all.

I think the way forward would be to devote serious effort to get the current code base covered
with unittests first. That way we will gain the much needed confidence in the current code,
which means that we can more easily integrate changes coming in from other branches and from
reviews and still have a level of certainty that stuff still works. Next to that it will provide
an enormous amount of example code for would be committers and people sending patches. For
a lot of people it is much easier to adapt an exisiting unittest then creating a new one from
scratch, especially with a complex code base like ours. Custom injection code (like ComponentLocator)
requires some knowledge to work into unittests and might be a tad difficult for people not
intimately familiar with it.

We as the committer team should be able to govern ourselves and take the responsibility to
start including unittests for exisiting code. If we can't agree to get this done as a community,
implementing a technical solution will not help, but probably have the opposite effect of
alienating the people. And that is something that we should not want.

Cheers,

Hugo