From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: Can we still use DevCloud VM Image ?
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2012 10:19:58 GMT

On 14-Nov-2012, at 3:23 PM, Charles Moulliard <ch007m@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Rohit,
>
> Have you been able to finalize your work about creating a new Ubuntu image
> for VirtualBox. If this is not the case, can you share with us (document,
> ...) what you have done to configure Ubunttu (Installating MySQL, Tomcat,
> ....) ?

Hi Charles,

Alright I'm back online, will work on releasing a devcloud image that I hope would work out
of the box, after some code monkey duties this week. In the new image, mysql, tomcat, git
etc. won't be installed on devcloud. The idea is that you develop on your host os, debug with
your fav. IDE and run mgmt server, mysql, jetty/tomcat as well (if you want to do that on
devcloud that too you can do). The default image will have only the preconfigured network,
xen (kvm won't run as pv hypervisor, I knew it required hvm/intel-vt or amd-v, and I still
tried just to see what happens and it did not run) and nfs server.

I've already shared the base os, which is x86 ubuntu precise http://bhaisaab.org/vms/ubuntu-12.04-x86-minimal-vm.tar.gz
(note: this is not devcloud, just the base system which is stripped down and archived, ~250MB)
Till I do that, you may try to diy devcloud, the top level goals are to: 1. Install xen, 2.
Configure network such that it's accessible to the host os and can access Internet, 3. Install
and configure NFS, 4. Preseed a systemvm template and you should be good to go. (2. is the
tricky one)

Just skip the following, something frivolous but for fun:
Around devcloud, I'm experimenting a lot (slow internet, plus every time I mess I start from
a fresh copy) so not able to produce a final image; you may call me crazy for what I'm going
to share next: so I've a raspberrypi with me (a dirt cheap small single board arm 32bit computer,
4 GB sdcard, 512MB ram etc., http://www.raspberrypi.org and we know devcloud was cloud in
a box, I'm trying to see if I can create a devpi or basically devcloud but in hardware and
not as a vm, basically cloud in your pocket. I installed debian wheezy on it and xen pv for
arm (xen cloudplaform for arm, this just blows up, even after cpvm disabled, ssvm etc. would
just blow it up), and this thing fails at the point when I restart it, also the default sd
card (it's storage, think hdd) is small (4GB) and the disk io is very small re-flashing it
every time consumes a lot of my time, ordered a 16GB class10 sd card for better disk io, will
keep you posted how this experiment went, I've a gut feeling though this won't work given
the resource constraints.

Regards.