From Joe Brockmeier <...@zonker.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][ASFCS40] 4.0 Branch Lifecycle
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2012 03:03:48 GMT
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 08:30:36PM -0400, Chip Childers wrote:
> Since I just started up the conversation about timing of feature
> releases, I wanted to start the discussion on how we want to decide
> what goes into the 4.0 branch and when we would pull the trigger on a
> 4.0.X bug-fix release process.  Personally, I don't have a
> particularly strong opinion about when we cut bug fix releases, but I
> do strongly feel that we should have one or two committers that are
> the "masters" of the 4.0 branch.  We should be very careful about what
> goes in there from now on, with a focus on (1) security issues, (2)
> high priority bugs, and (3) bugs that might be minor, but really annoy
> the heck out of our users.

Given the need to do a full vote for any release, I'd say anything less
than one month cycles for bug-fix releases is a bad idea. Longer than
one month is a long time to wait for a high priority bug if we have a
fix in hand. So... I'd say a one-month cycle?

> So...  thoughts?  Anyone willing to "own" the 4.0 branch during it's
> support lifetime?

Now that we're nearly through with the inaugural release, do we have
a runbook or something that details what the process requires? (Aside
from the existing Apache docs that spell out the overall Apache
requirements for releases, I mean.)

IOW - do we have a job description for someone to volunteer for this?

Best,

Joe
--
Joe Brockmeier