From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [ASFCS41] Proposed schedule for our next release
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2012 17:34:53 GMT
+1 I'm fine with the proposed schedule as well, but few of my questions were not answered,
if they're worth answering:

1. Number of maintenance or bug-fix releases on 4.0.x, 4.1.x etc. and the duration, timeline
of the same?
2. Frequency of these rather short term bug-fix releases?
3. Are we going to do a LTS, say for a year or two?
4. Will we have branch/version maintainers, since as per proposed schedule we will have 3-4
branches by the end of next year? I'm happy to have Joe doing 4.0.x (does this mean he's the
4.0 maintainer?) and Chip helping us out once again with 4.1.

Regards.

From: Chip Childers [chip.childers@sungard.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:53 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [ASFCS41] Proposed schedule for our next release

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Chip Childers
<chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:

> Taking everyone's input into consideration, I've reworked the proposed
> schedule (below).  I've extended the feature dev period until the end
> of Jan, giving us a 5 month (3 for features, 2 for testing / wrap-up)
> schedule for this next release.
>
> Does this sound like something we can all get behind?  Did I miss any
> significant issues raised in this or other threads?
>
> If the 4.1 schedule proposal works, I'd further propose that we shift
> to a 4 month schedule for feature releases afterward. IMO, we should
> be basically developing features outside of a release, and bringing
> them into master when the window is open for inclusion in the next
> release.  This gives any developer as much time as they would like
> (although the longer it goes on, the harder it is to potentially
> integrate back into master), and the community gets a clear view of
> what our "time-based" release schedule will look like.
>
> This rhythm would set us up with the following high level dates:
>
> ================================
> Proposed schedule for ongoing releases
> ================================
> 4.1
>   Nov through Jan - Feature work
>   Feb and March - Testing / Hardening / Wrap-up
> 4.2
>   April and May - Feature work
>   June and July - Testing / Hardening / Wrap-up
> 4.3
>   August and September - Feature work
>   October and November - Testing / Hardening / Wrap-up
> 4.4
>   Start all over in Dec
>
> ** This assumes no major version increments, but we could certainly have one!
>
> =============================
> New 4.1 detailed schedule proposal:
> =============================
>
> 2012-11-01 through 2013-01-31
>   Feature and documentation development (obviously ongoing, but
> continued during this period)
>
> 2013-01-31
>   Feature Freeze
>   All new feature need to have been merged into master by this date.
>   Release branch will be cut on this date.
>   Jenkins updated to include new release branch builds.
>
> 2013-02-01 through 2013-02-28
>   Testing/Bug Fixes (testing against jenkins artifacts)
>   Documentation Finalization
>
> 2013-02-28
>   Docs Freeze (except release notes and translations)
>   Release Branch moves to limited updates only (only commits allowed
> in would be release blockers fixes, translation updates, etc...)
>
> 2013-03-01 through 2013-03-22
>   Translation Development and Integration (should be ongoing, but
> focused effort)
>   Final regression testing / bug fixes / doc fixes
>
> 2013-03-22
>   4.1.0-RC1 is created, and project level VOTE is called

Having only heard back from David and Joe on the revised proposal
above, I'm going to assume that we're agreeing under a lazy consensus
process here.

Also, I'll throw my hat into the ring to release manage 4.1.0 (while
Joe is doing the 4.0.x releases).  I'm happy to step aside for anyone
else that may want to do it this time around, but also more than
willing to take this next feature release on.  Please shout if you
have an interest yourself!

-chip