From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: git commit: cli: pip install cloudmonkey works
Date Sat, 10 Nov 2012 07:40:21 GMT
Hi Chip,

I've added a notice on pypi page saying that it's not an official Apache CloudStack distribution,
published and maintained by community member(s) and listed the author/maintainer fields as
in tools/cli/setup.py: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-cloudstack.git;a=blob;f=tools/cli/setup.py;h=627a938e5ba1280356d42f02267e6eb6db47c6b1;hb=29978bdb8160c46fd8d047807b074048a7c7381d

We can have more than one person as admin on the pypi distribution, please let me know I will
add anyone who wants to administrate.
Alright, if other projects do it along with their release process then we should upload it
officially on pypi starting 4.1.0 after voting/release process.
Till 4.1.0 release we can keep the notice and use it for non-official releases.
Lastly, not sure about listing ASF as the author, I used "The Apache CloudStack Team" (like
in top level pom.xml).

Regards.

From: Chip Childers [chip.childers@sungard.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2012 2:09 AM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: git commit: cli: pip install cloudmonkey works

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 7:27 AM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@citrix.com> wrote:

> On 07-Nov-2012, at 4:50 PM, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:
>
>> Rohit:
>>
>> I saw the below commit, and then this:
>>
>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/cloudmonkey/0.0.4
>>
>> Is this a release of a portion of the CloudStack codebase? (This
>> wasn't in the 4.0.0-incubating release was it?)
>> Did I miss a discussion of the publication on list somewhere?
>
> I released it on pypi (cheese shop) without asking anyone. I did that so a user can simply
get the cli using pip or easy_install.

> Do I need to go through some process to release the cli on pypi, think like maven snapshots?
> I'm sorry if I did anything wrong, I'm unsure and don't know the release process for
distributing client snapshots or python libs such as marvin which are within the source code.
Starting 4.1.0 we can distribute cli etc. along with the release.

> Regards.

First, let me say that I love the CLI, and am really happy to see it
under development.  Though now that I look at this closely, I think
there might be a couple of issues to discuss here.  This is IMO, so
others should chime in.

In reality, we're using the very permissive ASLv2 license for the
project, and technically, on pypi, you've not identified the package
as an official CloudStack project.  You could consider that listing on
Pypi as the "Rohit distro" of the tool.  Also, you retain the
copyright to your work and just grant a liberal license to the ASF.
INAL, but AFAIK you did nothing *legally* wrong.

Here's the part where I think we can work together to improve things:

Obviously, Apache has not *released* any code that includes the
cloudmonkey CLI tool yet, so that's one concern for us to consider.
Second, what I've seen other projects do with package distro sites
like this is to tie the updates / changes to the release process.  For
example, Deltacloud uploads their gems after voting and releasing the
source.

Should we consider operating in that way?  Should we further consider
posting to Pypi with The Apache Software Foundation as the listed
author?