From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Site Analytics?
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2012 16:40:23 GMT
Alright, in that case there is no good enough opensource analytics software, we can go with
google analytics or mixpanel.
From: Joe Brockmeier [jzb@zonker.net]
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2012 10:02 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Site Analytics?

On Fri, Nov 09, 2012 at 09:52:28PM +0530, Rohit Yadav wrote:
> How do other Apache projects set up their site analytics, or do they even do that (track
user requests)?

> The idea is good but I would support the analysis and data used
> to do the same that is public; so analysis no. of issues, bugfixes,
> commits, emails exchanged over ml to get analytics of CloudStack
> as an opensource project; so I really like the *stacks analysis:
> http://www.qyjohn.net/?p=2427

The community analysis is nice, but that gives us nothing in terms of
*user* interaction or how successful (or not) the Web site is.

I'm looking for:

- how many users visit the site?
- what pages do they visit?
- how long do they stay on those pages?
- where did they come from?

(Analytics would also tell us about browser, OS, etc. - but really, I
don't think that's terribly useful in our use.)

> May be just have a simple counter of
> how many visitors visited, as a privacy and eff supporter I don't like
> the idea of tracking user agent data, I'm fine with anonymous counting,
> analysis of visitor data, no. of downloads etc. but that's just me.  >

We'd need an analytics package to get even a simple counter, pretty
sure. We could set up something like a site image stored on S3 or
another site that is called every time someone hits the site, but that
wouldn't tell us much.

I'm also an EFF supporter, but we're not trying to do anything nefarious
with the data - just see where we can improve the Web site.
--
Joe Brockmeier
Twitter: @jzb