From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Site Analytics?
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2012 16:22:28 GMT
How do other Apache projects set up their site analytics, or do they even do that (track user
requests)?

The idea is good but I would support the analysis and data used to do the same that is public;
so analysis no. of issues, bugfixes, commits, emails exchanged over ml to get analytics of
CloudStack as an opensource project; so I really like the *stacks analysis: http://www.qyjohn.net/?p=2427
May be just have a simple counter of how many visitors visited, as a privacy and eff supporter
I don't like the idea of tracking user agent data, I'm fine with anonymous counting, analysis
of visitor data, no. of downloads etc. but that's just me.

Regards.

From: Joe Brockmeier [jzb@zonker.net]
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2012 9:38 PM
To: CloudStack Developers
Subject: [DISCUSS] Site Analytics?

Since we transitioned cloudstack.org to the Apache Incubator site, we no
longer have any analytics running on CloudStack.org.

I wanted to ask whether we'd like to remedy that.

The first question is - would we like to set up something like Google
Analytics or Piwik to track visitors to CloudStack.org and also gather
information on what pages they visit, how long they stay, where they
came from, etc.

The second question, if the answer to the first one is "yes," is what
we'd like to use?

Google Analytics would be the easiest, because all we'd need to do is
slap in their code and grant access to interested committers/PPMC
members on Google.

The downside is that we're using Google, which some folks may be
uncomfortable with.

I've also worked with Piwik and could easily set up an instance to track
our analytics - this would have the benefit of letting the project
retain control of the data (i.e., not a third party like Google) and not
require people sign up for a Google account (if they don't already have
one).

Thoughts? I'm volunteering to set up either of those options if we're
comfortable with one or the other.

Thanks!

Joe
--