From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: Rant: Request for better commit messages
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2012 18:03:40 GMT
I'm not sure how (cherry picking, pull based on commit message) this will work, but it's good
idea to mark the commit with some tag with say branch so we always commit on master?
(Bugfix-for or Branch: <branches> )
Branch: 4.0, master #(comma separated branch names).
Bug-id: CLOUDSTACK-xxx

This may be ambiguous, says some developer did not know if some commit would apply for some
branch? Another issue is to encourage everyone of us to use this convention.
If we could solve it, that would be great.

From: Marcus Sorensen [shadowsor@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 8:56 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Rant: Request for better commit messages

Should we add a line to this commit message, where people can mark whether
this patch should be considered for the next bugfix release? Or is that all
handled/tracked through JIRA or some other means? I just thought it would
be nice for the guy maintaining a release to be able to eventually pull in
stuff based on the commit messages. It also allows the committers to give
some sort of indication that commit X is important and needs to go into the
bugfix.

For now I'm just adding "Bugfix-for: 4.0" to my commits.

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Marcus Sorensen <shadowsor@gmail.com>wrote:

> Ok, this is now in master, see 9ba7509c70fe82a8ce0b08826d424de452aef1d2
>
> set it up by running the following from your incubator-cloudstack dir:
>
> 'ln -s ../../tools/git/prepare-commit-msg .git/hooks/prepare-commit-msg'
>
> Developers can also optionally commit different prepare-commit-msg
> scripts for each branch, and the link will point to the one you're on.
>
> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@citrix.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On 14-Oct-2012, at 9:18 PM, Marcus Sorensen <shadowsor@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm by no means a git guru, but in searching around it didn't seem like
> >> there was a way to enforce the application of hooks from the repo side.
> >> I'm not sure we'd want to anyway. I was just going to commit the file
> and
> >> then add instructions on the wiki for people to add it in their local
> repo
> >> config.
> >
> > I think that's fine. Instead of hooks what people can do is add a commit
> template to their local git configuration.
> > http://git-scm.com/book/en/Customizing-Git-Git-Configuration
> >
> > Checkout commit.template, add following to your ~/.gitconfig:
> > [commit]
> >   template = ~/.gitmessage
> >
> > And create a ~/.gitmessage like:
> > #Header: one line explaination
> > #
> > #Body of commit message explaining things in more detail, possibly
> giving some
> > #background about the issue being fixed, etc. Maybe use bullets:
> > #  - Write in present tense
> > #  - Keep text width of commit message within 80 characters.
> > #
> > #Use more than one paragraphs, that's is fine.
> > #
> > #Reviewed-by: Person or link to review on review.apache.org
> > #Reported-by: whoever-reported-it, if applicable
> > #Signed-off-by: Your Name <youremail@yourhost.com>
> >
> > Now every time one does git commit, she will see this in their editor
> and use this as a reminder to write better commit message.
> > For example my:
> > gitconfig:
> https://github.com/bhaisaab/dotfiles/blob/master/git/gitconfig
> > gitmessage: