From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: Proposed fixes for debian package building process
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2012 05:37:37 GMT

On 06-Nov-2012, at 8:36 AM, Dave Cahill <dcahill@midokura.jp> wrote:

> Hi Edison,
>
> Understood - sounds like .deb package building is not supposed to work on
> master.
>
> Do you know if anyone is working on making .deb building work using maven
> on master? From the first thread you linked [1], it sounded like Noa Resare
> at Spotify might start working on it, but I don't see any activity after
> that. The wiki mentions this branch in relation to getting debs / maven
> working, but it doesn't seem to have been updated in a month:
> https://github.com/bhaisaab/incubator-cloudstack/tree/debs-maven

Yes that's my personal branch. I initially proposed and got the debian packaging working using
maven plugin, but it never got through so I stopped working on that tree. We will be most
probably using debian control files for packaging, as Wido suggested he will take a lead on
that as soon as he's available.

But, if you need it soon why not please help us fix this; patches welcome!

> If no-one is working on .deb package building, is there an alternative way
> to keep developing on master with debian / Ubuntu? I can easily run the
> management server from source ("mvn -pl :cloud-client-ui jetty:run"), but
> running the agent from source is a bit messier, as the management server
> needs to SSH into the host and run the agent via the init script ("sudo
> service cloud-agent start").
>
> I should also mention that by fixing the "mvn -P deps -pl deps" issue I
> mentioned above, I was able to run dpkg-buildpackage successfully, install
> the resultant .debs successfully on an Ubuntu 12.04 machine, and get a
> basic CloudStack setup (2 guest VMs, basic networking) working that way. If
> building that way results in .debs which shouldn't work, should we remove
> some of the broken options (e.g. the maven "deps" profile) from master to
> avoid confusion?

mvn -P deps is for the old ant system, for master we've deprecated ant.
That brings us the questions, should we do something about the ant xmls and deprecated code?

Regards.