From sebgoa <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Cloudstack 4.0.0-incubating Release, third round
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2012 09:32:18 GMT
+1

Downloaded:
> http://people.apache.org/~chipchilders/dist/cloudstack/releases/4.0.0-
> incubating/apache-cloudstack-4.0.0-incubating-src.tar.bz2
built, deployed, deployeddb, rdebug in DevCloud
configured devcloud
started instance via GUI, destroyed instance via GUI
generated user keys, enabled ec2
restarted mgt server, registered user, started/destroyed instance via boto script.

-Sebastien

On Oct 25, 2012, at 10:51 AM, Suresh Sadhu wrote:

> +1
>
> Followed the test procedure mentioned  in the specified link (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+4.0+test+procedure)
and performed below operations:

> .VM life cycle(VM create/stop/destroy/expunge)
> Add volume/detach volume
> Add an account
>
> Thanks
> sadhu

machines, created some ACLs, a load balancer.
> Checked password script/server was working. Deleted VMs, networks, VPC.
>
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 9:06 PM, Chandan Purushothama <Chandan.Purushothama@citrix.com>
wrote:
>> +1
>>
>> I followed the test procedure mentioned at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+4.0+test+procedure
. The local machine on which I deployed the DevCloud VM is freshly deployed Ubuntu 12.04-Server
x86_64 host.

>> Downloaded the following artifacts:
>>
>> wget http://people.apache.org/~chipchilders/dist/cloudstack/KEYS
>> wget
>> http://people.apache.org/~chipchilders/dist/cloudstack/releases/4.0.0-
>> incubating/apache-cloudstack-4.0.0-incubating-src.tar.bz2
>> wget
>> http://people.apache.org/~chipchilders/dist/cloudstack/releases/4.0.0-
>> incubating/apache-cloudstack-4.0.0-incubating-src.tar.bz2.asc
>> wget
>> http://people.apache.org/~chipchilders/dist/cloudstack/releases/4.0.0-
>> incubating/apache-cloudstack-4.0.0-incubating-src.tar.bz2.md5
>> wget
>> http://people.apache.org/~chipchilders/dist/cloudstack/releases/4.0.0-
>> incubating/apache-cloudstack-4.0.0-incubating-src.tar.bz2.sha
>>
>> Verified signatures and hash files using "gpg --verify
>> apache-cloudstack-4.0.0-incubating-src.tar.bz2.asc " -> "Good
>> Signature" mentioned in the returned output
>>
>> Compared the contents of the release artifact with the contents pulled
>> from the repo. No difference was observed
>>
>> Verified the Code's License Headers
>> **Suggestion: Better to add the note "If you're on Ubuntu and using the PPA:natecarlson/maven3
(viz. Installing tools above), you've to use mvn3 instead of mvn" in this section of the test
procedure.

>> Complied the source code successfully. Deployed it into the DevCloud VM. Started
and configured the Management Server successfully using the configuration instructions given
in the test procedure.

>> Secondary Storage VM and Console Proxy VM got deployed after
>> configuration of the management server. Successfully deployed the
>> first VM
>>
>> Changed the global settings of "expunge.interval" and "expunge.delay" to 120. Configured
"enable.ec2.api" to "true"

>> On clicking the console view of the deployed User VM using the "show console" button,
Console view of the User VM appeared. Stopped the User VM using the Stop button on the UI.
Destroyed the Stopped VM using the destroy button on the UI. Observed the VM expunge after
2 minutes.

>> EC2 Testing:
>>
>> Generated the API and Secret key for the admin account. I renamed the  tinyOffering
to m1.small as instructed in the test procedure. Added a rule on the Virtual box to forward
host port 7080 TCP traffic to VM's port 7080. After generating a X509 SSL certificate on the
local machine, I used it and successfully registered the Admin account's api and secret key
on the devCloud's Management Server's cloudbridge database. I verified the presence of the
API and Secret key  of admin account in the "usercredentials"  table in the "cloudbridge"
database.

>> Used the python script example given in the test procedure. Substituted the api and
secret key in the script with those of the admin account. Successfully deployed a VM on the
DevCloud Setup using the python script. I destroyed the instance via the UI and used the script
two more times to deploy two more VMs on the devCloud Setup. The Two VMs got deployed Successfully.

>> **Note:  I encountered a problem with deploying my first VM during my first attempt.
This is due to my mistake where I overlooked the requirement to change the memory required
for DevCloud VM from 1024 to 2046MB. I repeated the entire test procedure(except the pre-requisites)
 the second time and made the above mentioned observations.

>> Thank you,
>> Chandan.

of Cloudstack built from this package, but don't really apply to this package.  Or maybe they
were from before the dep jars were changed to be grabbed via maven and were part of the src.
   Right?

>>> The license file lists license for jars in lib and aws and such that don't exist.
  Likewise for the NOTICE file.

>>> Don't get me wrong.  I think these LICENSE/NOTICE files are great to have for
people that are building binary distributions of Cloudstack and having that information available
to them certainly takes much of the burden off of them, but I do question if they are appropriate
for the Apache source based releases.

>>> Dan
>>
>> Dan,
>>
>> Yes, the jars referenced in the legal docs are pulled in by the packaging process.
 The expectation was that the material would be brought into any packaging (including the
non-asf, but community provided, deb/rpm's).  When looking for examples from other ASF projects,
IIRC I saw both approaches (I'll have to dig a bit to find the examples that I was looking
at).  At one point, I had a "*_BINARY"
>> version of both files and the standard files for the source itself, but I then decided
to simplify into a single set that would work for both situations.