From Alena Prokharchyk <Alena.Prokharc...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: Stop instance is destroying my VM
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2012 16:53:06 GMT
On 10/16/12 9:46 AM, "Min Chen" <min.chen@citrix.com> wrote:

>Thanks Lee for clarification. Then my next natural question is: what is
>the difference between stop instance and destroy instance (which are also
>shown on CloudStack UI)?

cloudStack doesn't send any commands to the backend on DestroyVm command.
The vm is marked as Destroyed in the DB, the regular user can't see it any
more. The vm can be recovered by the ROOT admin in the "expunge.delay"
period of time (configurable, 1 day by default). When recoverVm command is
executed, the vm goes back to Stopped state.

If no recover was called on vm in Destroyed state, it will get expunged
after expunge.delay. Expunge means that all vm's volumes will get
destroyed on the primary storage, and the vm will be marked as Removed in
the DB.

-Alena.