From Alena Prokharchyk <Alena.Prokharc...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: FS on cloudStack createSnapshot synchronization improvement
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2012 16:44:46 GMT
On 10/15/12 4:27 AM, "Nitin Mehta" <Nitin.Mehta@citrix.com> wrote:

>Hi Alena - Why is it that we prefer hosts on which vm is/was  running for
>creating snapshots - do we see performance benefits in any way or it was
>a convenient way of choosing the host ?

Anthony is the best person to answer this question; this logic was in
place before I put in my changes. As far as I know, in VmWare case
(according to Kelven), there are less chances for the createSnapshot
command to fail when it's executed on the host where the vm resides on.

>For performance benefits can we not choose a host in the cluster which
>has the least load (in terms of create snapshot jobs or some better
>metric) so as to balance the load across the cluster.

Agree with you on that. But it would be much bigger of a change, we can
implement it later.

>I guess this would also help in first fit vm deployment algorithms to not
>overload the host and starve the create snapshot jobs ?
>
>Also can we not have different config params for
>concurrent.snapshots.threshold.perhost since the snapshot creation
>implementation is drastically different in the hypervisors so one value
>might not be the best idea here ?

Yes, you can file an enhancement for this.