From Marcus Sorensen <shadow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Rant: Request for better commit messages
Date Sun, 14 Oct 2012 16:29:45 GMT
Yeah, that's an option too. The reason I was thinking going the hook
route was because we could provide one file that will work for
everyone (auto populate the signed-off-by and perhaps other things).
Basically because it's scriptable. Then they can just copy it to
.git/hooks on their own. That's the nice thing about the git model
though, people can do it how they like.

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@citrix.com> wrote:

> On 14-Oct-2012, at 9:18 PM, Marcus Sorensen <shadowsor@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm by no means a git guru, but in searching around it didn't seem like
>> there was a way to enforce the application of hooks from the repo side.
>> I'm not sure we'd want to anyway. I was just going to commit the file and
>> then add instructions on the wiki for people to add it in their local repo
>> config.
>
> I think that's fine. Instead of hooks what people can do is add a commit template to
their local git configuration.
> http://git-scm.com/book/en/Customizing-Git-Git-Configuration
>
> Checkout commit.template, add following to your ~/.gitconfig:
> [commit]
>   template = ~/.gitmessage
>
> And create a ~/.gitmessage like:
> #Header: one line explaination
> #
> #Body of commit message explaining things in more detail, possibly giving some
> #background about the issue being fixed, etc. Maybe use bullets:
> #  - Write in present tense
> #  - Keep text width of commit message within 80 characters.
> #
> #Use more than one paragraphs, that's is fine.
> #
> #Reviewed-by: Person or link to review on review.apache.org
> #Reported-by: whoever-reported-it, if applicable
> #Signed-off-by: Your Name <youremail@yourhost.com>
>
> Now every time one does git commit, she will see this in their editor and use this as
a reminder to write better commit message.