From Marcus Sorensen <shadow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Rant: Request for better commit messages
Date Sun, 14 Oct 2012 15:48:59 GMT
I'm by no means a git guru, but in searching around it didn't seem like
there was a way to enforce the application of hooks from the repo side.
I'm not sure we'd want to anyway. I was just going to commit the file and
then add instructions on the wiki for people to add it in their local repo
config.
On Oct 14, 2012 4:07 AM, "Rohit Yadav" <rohit.yadav@citrix.com> wrote:

> On 12-Oct-2012, at 10:29 PM, Marcus Sorensen <shadowsor@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Sure thing.  A few questions:
> >
> > the "CLOUDSTACK-<BUGID> prefix:" line, should that be changed to
> > simply "Bug id:"?
>
> I guess as there are already several commits that follow CLOUDSTACK-BUGID
> convention, we should continue that.
> Also, there are commits with bug id's of old jira, like CS-16414 etc.
>
> > I'm assuming that if the commit is a bug fix, the
> > fix will already be described in the summary and detail of the commit.
> > Or are we looking for something else here other than a description? I
> > could just see this being redundant, but perhaps I don't understand
> > what's being asked for on that line. Should id describe the bug itself
> > in one line, rather than the bug fix?
>
> Whatever makes sense, I usually write what that commit does in one line.
>

> > I'm also assuming it's ok to add the "Signed-off-by:" to the message.
> > I realize that some people will have their own configs that already do
> > this, or be used to using -s to auto-add it to the message, but
> > judging by the logs it seems that the majority don't. So hopefully
> > this doesn't upset anyone horribly :-) They can always change their
> > copy since the hook will need to be manually installed.
>
> I've just put up bunch of guidelines on the wiki, let's take whatever
> seems good and follow whatever makes sense.
> My whole intension was to bring up the issue that a short commit message
> makes it hard for folks to follow commits.
>
> > Attached is an example commit message generated by the hook so far.
>
> Cool, I guess you would have to contact someone from ASF infra to set this
> up.

> > left in the default comment message as well, simply because it
> > includes a list of what's modified,etc for reference when typing up
> > the notes.
>
> --
> Rohit
>

> > On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 2:56 AM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@citrix.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I ported an old wiki from wiki.cloudstack to cwiki.a.o
> >>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Git#Git-CommitMessages
> >>
> >> Pl. check and edit as needed.
> >>
> >> One more thing, I checked looks like ASF infra guys have upgraded their
> review board.
> >> The bug (
> http://code.google.com/p/reviewboard/issues/detail?id=2690&thanks=2690&ts=1343826104)
> got fixed so now downloading the diff downloads the actual uploaded git
> formatted patch.

> message form.
> >>
> >> Marcus it's a good idea, pl. check if we can add git hooks to ASF repo
> that would be great.
> >>
> >> Regards.

> coding

> step to