From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [Doc] Missing hardware requirements in KVM install section?
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2012 16:20:41 GMT
I doubt I am adding clarity, but comments are inline.

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Jessica Tomechak
<jessica.tomechak@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just noticed that in the KVM installation section, which was not just
> converted to XML but substantially rewritten by a contributor, the
> following hardware requirements from the older guide were omitted. Can
> anyone please confirm whether these still apply to Apache CloudStack 4.0?
>
> Hosts must be certified as compatible with the selected operating system.
> For example, see the RHEL Hardware Compatibility Guide at
> https://hardware.redhat.com/.

Since you can use this in virtually any modern KVM system (Ubuntu,
Fedora, in addition to RHEL etc) the above would seem to be pointless.

> Must support HVM (Intel-VT or AMD-V enabled).

That's a KVM requirement. KVM won't work without this.

> Within a single cluster, the hosts must be homogenous. The CPUs must be of
> the same type, count, and feature flags.

This is true -  might also add network layout as that is more
important that feature flag and count of CPUs IMO.

> Within a single cluster, the hosts must be of the same kernel version. For
> example, if one host is RHEL6 64 bit, they must all be RHEL6 64 bit.
>
> 64-bit x86 CPU (more cores results in better performance)

The above wording is horrendously unclear and confusing at best.
RHEL6 always ships with 2.6.32 - but there are different builds and it
makes me question whether you mean:

I must be using the same major version of RHEL and match arch
OR
I must be using the same minor version of RHEL and match arch
OR
I must be using the same kernel release and arch on all machines
(e.g.: kernel-2.6.32-279.5.2)

> Hardware virtualization support required

You said this already

> 4 GB of memory

Where did this number come from?

> 36 GB of local disk

Why is this needed? Where did this number come from? What if they are
all pxe-booted diskless KVM nodes (we have people who have done that)

> At least 1 NIC
>

> Statically allocated IP Address

I thought Edison said we deprecated the need for this many months ago.