From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [2/2] git commit: Summary: Replace pymysql in marvin with a stable mysql-connector-python
Date Sun, 21 Oct 2012 00:20:30 GMT
On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@citrix.com> wrote:
> Hi David, I think there should not be any issues. It's a runtime dependency just like
pymysql and obtainable from cheeseshop/pypi using pip/easy_install and while building/installing/running
marvin (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/mysql-connector-python). It's the same case with other
deps like nose, unittest-xml-reporting etc.

> I think it should be used as it's developed and maintained by the MySQL server people
and there is nothing we're introducing. mysql-connector-python and MySQL server are both released
under GPLv2, pymysql have their own license: https://github.com/petehunt/PyMySQL/blob/master/LICENSE

So there are a number of potential problems - GPL/LGPL/copyleft
dependencies can be problematic and even forbidden. Moreover it may
inject requirements on us to report it in NOTICE or LICENSE.
See Chips note about an earlier problem around this:
http://markmail.org/message/huevw4ur73a64b5c

We _HAVE_ to handle this on an ongoing basis, an audit after the fact
is too expensive in terms of time and effort. If anyone
adds/subtracts/changes a dependency, we need to discuss it, verify
that we can use it, and document it.