From prasanna <srivatsav.prasa...@gmail.com>
Subject mysql-connector-python for marvin (was Re: [2/2] git commit: Summary: Replace pymysql with mysql-connector-python)
Date Sun, 21 Oct 2012 06:47:16 GMT
On 21 October 2012 05:50, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@citrix.com> wrote:
>> Hi David, I think there should not be any issues. It's a runtime dependency just
like pymysql and obtainable from cheeseshop/pypi using pip/easy_install and while building/installing/running
marvin (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/mysql-connector-python). It's the same case with other
deps like nose, unittest-xml-reporting etc.

>> I think it should be used as it's developed and maintained by the MySQL server people
and there is nothing we're introducing. mysql-connector-python and MySQL server are both released
under GPLv2, pymysql have their own license: https://github.com/petehunt/PyMySQL/blob/master/LICENSE

> So there are a number of potential problems - GPL/LGPL/copyleft
> dependencies can be problematic and even forbidden. Moreover it may
> inject requirements on us to report it in NOTICE or LICENSE.
> See Chips note about an earlier problem around this:
> http://markmail.org/message/huevw4ur73a64b5c
>
> We _HAVE_ to handle this on an ongoing basis, an audit after the fact
> is too expensive in terms of time and effort. If anyone
> adds/subtracts/changes a dependency, we need to discuss it, verify
> that we can use it, and document it.

Hi David,

mysql-connector-python is nothing but a cousin to mysql-connector-java
that we earlier had resolved licensing issues with. Aside from the
reason for changing the connector I didn't see a problem in having
this as a runtime dependency since the FOSS exception added to all
mysql -server/client/connector projects as noted below:

http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/licensing/foss-exception/

allows Apache projects to include these connectors. It should probably
be more acceptable than pymysql that wasn't licensed conveniently like
this.

If there are any follow-ups / tasks / release notes to be taken up to
allow its inclusion, please let me know. I will take those up.

Sorry for not bringing this earlier to the lists. But in my haste to
fix the issue I forget to take guidance on the licensing and legal
problems that you guys tirelessly worked out earlier.

No other harm intended.

--
Prasanna.,