From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: [ASFCS40] New source code package available (4.0.0.beta1) for testing
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2012 09:30:46 GMT
Here, check this out:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=couchdb.git;a=blob_plain;f=acinclude.m4.in;hb=HEAD

Specifically, these lines:

m4_define([LOCAL_VERSION_MAJOR], [1])
m4_define([LOCAL_VERSION_MINOR], [3])
m4_define([LOCAL_VERSION_REVISION], [0])
m4_define([LOCAL_VERSION_STAGE], [a])
m4_define([LOCAL_VERSION_RELEASE], [-%release%])

These set up the version number for the build.

So, if you built it at the moment, it would generate this version number:

1.3.0ad4cdb2b-git

The %release% is populated by our bootstrap script:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=couchdb.git;a=blob_plain;f=bootstrap;hb=HEAD

Specifically these lines:

if test -z "$REVISION"; then
    if test -d .git; then
        REVISION=`git describe --always`-git
    else
        # default to svn
        REVISION=`\`which svn\` info . 2> /dev/null | awk
"/Revision:/{print \\$2}"`
    fi
fi
if test -z "`get LOCAL_VERSION_STAGE`" -o -z "$REVISION"; then
    sed "s/%release%//" < acinclude.m4.in > acinclude.m4
else
    sed "s/%release%/$REVISION/" < acinclude.m4.in > acinclude.m4
fi

Now, what we do when we're making a release is that on the release branch,
we change the original to:

m4_define([LOCAL_VERSION_MAJOR], [1])
m4_define([LOCAL_VERSION_MINOR], [3])
m4_define([LOCAL_VERSION_REVISION], [0])
m4_define([LOCAL_VERSION_STAGE], [])
m4_define([LOCAL_VERSION_RELEASE], [])

Which, when built for voting, produces:

1.3.0

So, in summary, by default, our source automatically appends an alpha
version number. And when we're doing a release, we temporarily remove that,
cut the release, and then bump the release number, and put it back in again.

I believe a similar system, irrespective of implementation, could work for
us here?

--
NS