From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Cloudstack 4.0.0-incubating Release, third round
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 00:13:21 GMT
On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> It is frustrating because everything is so slow, and my (main) computer is
> practically unusable while it is running. How feasible would it be to
> provide this DevCloud thing as an AMI? I would much prefer to do this in
> the cloud.

Want to help do that?  Sounds like a reasonable idea...  I wouldn't
replace devcloud itself, but I don't see why we couldn't also have an
AMI prepared for testing.

> Okay, I made it to this step:
>
> Additional Testing
>
> The instance is removed from the web console.
>
> And this is what I see on the terminal:
>
>   [sshexec]      [java] WARN  [cloud.consoleproxy.ConsoleProxyManagerImpl]
> (AgentManager-Handler-6:) VM 3 lost host info, failed authentication request
>   [sshexec]
>   [sshexec]      [java] WARN  [cloud.consoleproxy.ConsoleProxyManagerImpl]
> (AgentManager-Handler-8:) VM 3 lost host info, failed authentication request
>   [sshexec]
>   [sshexec]      [java] WARN  [cloud.consoleproxy.ConsoleProxyManagerImpl]
> (AgentManager-Handler-9:) VM 3 lost host info, failed authentication request
>   [sshexec]
>   [sshexec]      [java] INFO  [cloud.vm.UserVmManagerImpl]
> (UserVm-Scavenger-1:) Found 1 vms to expunge.
>   [sshexec]
>   [sshexec]      [java] INFO  [network.security.SecurityGroupManagerImpl]
> (UserVm-Scavenger-1:) Disassociated 1 network groups  from uservm 3
>   [sshexec]
>   [sshexec]      [java] INFO  [cloud.ha.HighAvailabilityManagerImpl]
> (HA-Worker-1:work-2) Processing HAWork[2-HA-4-Stopped-Scheduled]
>   [sshexec]
>   [sshexec]      [java] INFO  [cloud.ha.HighAvailabilityManagerImpl]
> (HA-Worker-1:work-2) HA on VM[DomainRouter|r-4-TEST]
>   [sshexec]      [java] INFO  [cloud.ha.HighAvailabilityManagerImpl]
> (HA-Worker-1:work-2) VM VM[DomainRouter|r-4-TEST] has been changed.
>  Current State = Running Previous State = Stopped last updated = 10
> previous updated = 7
>   [sshexec]      [java] INFO  [cloud.ha.HighAvailabilityManagerImpl]
> (HA-Worker-1:work-2) Completed HAWork[2-HA-4-Stopped-Scheduled]

Yup, it worked!

> However, from devcloud, I see this:

This is a good place for you to understand the different VM types that
CloudStack manages as part of the infra of supporting user VMs.

> root@devcloud:~# xe vm-list
> uuid ( RO)           : 83fdea03-9d67-d5dc-e090-0acba65e7926
>      name-label ( RW): r-4-TEST
>     power-state ( RO): running

This is a virtual router.  It's the VM that provides network services
within the zone for an account.  It's created when the first VM is
created within a zone.

> uuid ( RO)           : f01b195e-074b-e8f2-f8b1-b2c493070c8a
>      name-label ( RW): Control domain on host: devcloud
>     power-state ( RO): running

This is Xen's Dom0

> uuid ( RO)           : 2ab8057a-767e-b700-53e3-861f2e23823a
>      name-label ( RW): s-1-TEST
>     power-state ( RO): running

This is the secondary storage VM for the zone.  All template and
snapshot related activities are managed via this device.

> uuid ( RO)           : 8b27e755-4486-e27e-ee7a-6e5bc6ea768f
>      name-label ( RW): v-2-TEST
>     power-state ( RO): running

This is the console proxy VM for the zone.  All web-based access to a
VM's console comes through VM's like this.

> This looks, to my untrained eyes, like the VM might still be running, and
> in fact that there might be more than one?

You're instance was properly destroyed.  Sorry for the confusion here.
 I could build up more notes in the test doc for next time, but I
thought it was reasonable to stop at the UI telling you that the VM
was deleted.  Think the test procedure should be expanded?

> Okay, at this point, if someone can clarify that issues (or not?) I have
> run into with the functional tests are not release blockers, I am happy to
> just shut up about them and hope that testing is made easier for the next
> release.
>
> Just moving on now to some more thorough testing.
>
> My manual license check seems satisfactory.
>
> We're still shipping the "waf" binary in the root of our source, and I
> don't understand why. I know I was asked about this during the last round.
> And to be honest, I do not know whether it's a blocker. Can someone clarify
> for me why it is used, and why we can't ship the source instead?
>
> Manual file type test: OK
>
> Okay, going through some files by hand.
>
> The following files do not have copyright headers:
>
> setup/apidoc/generateadmincommands.xsl
> setup/apidoc/generatecommand.xsl
> setup/apidoc/generatedomainadmincommands.xsl
> setup/apidoc/generatetoc_footer.xsl
> setup/apidoc/generateusercommands.xsl
>
> I do not consider this a release blocker, but these should be fixed (where
> possible) for the next release.

Thanks for finding this.  I created
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-422 to fix.
Interestingly enough, I guess someone has removed these files from the
master branch.  I guess they are no longer needed.  Either way, we'll
fix them in whatever branches they are still in.