From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [ASFCS40] Could we easily remove WAF from 4.0 somehow?
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 17:11:58 GMT
On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Alex Huang <Alex.Huang@citrix.com> wrote:
> Is having steps to download waf enough?
>
> --Alex

Actually, I think (hope) that we are going to be OK for now.

The sticking point was the fact that there is binary data at the
bottom of the waf file.  We *thought* it was compiled python code.
It's actually not...  it's basically compressed and archived source
code.  After extracting and reviewing the contents, it's the waf
source that we expected it to be.

We're going to wait until tomorrow morning ET for any further comments
from the general@i.a.o list, and then I'll try to close down the vote
thread and proceed to the next step.

That being said, if we have any further concerns raised we will need
to figure out how to address the issue.  AFAIK, the waf version that
we are using is pretty old.  The current waf source repo doesn't even
have our version in it's tag list.  That might be a problem.  I do
think that instructions for how to download and build would be enough,
but would we suggest the latest version?

However, I think that this discussion raises the issue of removing waf
again.  Hopefully that work is going well, and we can expect to remove
waf from the project entirely for the next release.  I'm not sure how
we will handle a bug fix release though...  Thoughts?

-chip