From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Cloudstack 4.0.0-incubating Release, third round
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 14:10:49 GMT
On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Chip Childers
<chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
>> Actually, sorry, I probably gave that +1 a *little* too soon.
>>
>> Can someone make the case for "waf" not being a release blocker?
>>
>> Everything else can probably slide.
>
> Waf needs to go.  No doubt about it.  However, I'm not certain it's a
> blocker for a release.  Here's my reasoning:
>
> Waf is being removed from the project entirely (ongoing work in
> origin/maven-to-rpm), so we're not doing something that isn't already
> targeted for being undone as fast as possible.   The important thing
> to me is understanding that work to remove waf is taking longer than
> the community desire to get a release completed at the end of the
> summer.  It's one line of bytecode within a file that is not core to
> the project itself (it's only a build utility), that has a clearly
> marked license for file itself (so distribution is OK), that is only
> used as a quick way to create packages for Linux distros (not to do
> the actual project compilation), and that will be ignored by any
> distro packagers that want to create proper RPMs / DEBs anyway.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -chip

Noah has raised the question on general@i.a.o, and I'm holding off on
closing this vote to get some comments back from the incubator.

-chip

> [...]
>>>   [sshexec]
>>>   [sshexec]      [java] WARN  [cloud.consoleproxy.ConsoleProxyManagerImpl]
>>> (AgentManager-Handler-8:) VM 3 lost host info, failed authentication request
>>>   [sshexec]
>>>   [sshexec]      [java] WARN  [cloud.consoleproxy.ConsoleProxyManagerImpl]
>>> (AgentManager-Handler-9:) VM 3 lost host info, failed authentication request
>>>   [sshexec]
>>>   [sshexec]      [java] INFO  [cloud.vm.UserVmManagerImpl]
>>> (UserVm-Scavenger-1:) Found 1 vms to expunge.
>>>   [sshexec]
>>>   [sshexec]      [java] INFO  [network.security.SecurityGroupManagerImpl]
>>> (UserVm-Scavenger-1:) Disassociated 1 network groups  from uservm 3
>>>   [sshexec]
>>>   [sshexec]      [java] INFO  [cloud.ha.HighAvailabilityManagerImpl]
>>> (HA-Worker-1:work-2) Processing HAWork[2-HA-4-Stopped-Scheduled]
>>>   [sshexec]
>>>   [sshexec]      [java] INFO  [cloud.ha.HighAvailabilityManagerImpl]
>>> (HA-Worker-1:work-2) HA on VM[DomainRouter|r-4-TEST]
>>>   [sshexec]      [java] INFO  [cloud.ha.HighAvailabilityManagerImpl]
>>> (HA-Worker-1:work-2) VM VM[DomainRouter|r-4-TEST] has been changed.
>>>  Current State = Running Previous State = Stopped last updated = 10
>>> previous updated = 7
>>>   [sshexec]      [java] INFO  [cloud.ha.HighAvailabilityManagerImpl]
>>> (HA-Worker-1:work-2) Completed HAWork[2-HA-4-Stopped-Scheduled]
>>>
>>> However, from devcloud, I see this:
>>>
>>> root@devcloud:~# xe vm-list
>>> uuid ( RO)           : 83fdea03-9d67-d5dc-e090-0acba65e7926
>>>      name-label ( RW): r-4-TEST
>>>     power-state ( RO): running
>>>

>>> uuid ( RO)           : f01b195e-074b-e8f2-f8b1-b2c493070c8a
>>>      name-label ( RW): Control domain on host: devcloud
>>>     power-state ( RO): running
>>>

>>> uuid ( RO)           : 2ab8057a-767e-b700-53e3-861f2e23823a
>>>      name-label ( RW): s-1-TEST
>>>     power-state ( RO): running
>>>

>>> uuid ( RO)           : 8b27e755-4486-e27e-ee7a-6e5bc6ea768f
>>>      name-label ( RW): v-2-TEST
>>>     power-state ( RO): running
>>>
>>> This looks, to my untrained eyes, like the VM might still be running, and
>>> in fact that there might be more than one?
>>>
>>> Okay, at this point, if someone can clarify that issues (or not?) I have
>>> run into with the functional tests are not release blockers, I am happy to
>>> just shut up about them and hope that testing is made easier for the next
>>> release.
>>>
>>> Just moving on now to some more thorough testing.
>>>
>>> My manual license check seems satisfactory.
>>>
>>> We're still shipping the "waf" binary in the root of our source, and I
>>> don't understand why. I know I was asked about this during the last round.
>>> And to be honest, I do not know whether it's a blocker. Can someone clarify
>>> for me why it is used, and why we can't ship the source instead?
>>>
>>> Manual file type test: OK
>>>
>>> Okay, going through some files by hand.
>>>
>>> The following files do not have copyright headers:

>>> setup/apidoc/generatecommand.xsl
>>> setup/apidoc/generatedomainadmincommands.xsl
>>> setup/apidoc/generatetoc_footer.xsl
>>> setup/apidoc/generateusercommands.xsl
>>>
>>> I do not consider this a release blocker, but these should be fixed (where
>>> possible) for the next release.
>>>
>>> I almost raised a blocked with the files I found under tools/marvin,
>>> before I remembered our discussion about them. Heh!
>>>
>>> Okay, manually checked all the other manually flagged files, and they all
>>> check out in pom.xml or LICENSE.
>>>
>>> I am +1 on this release.
>>>
>>> For the next release, please can we:
>>>
>>> 1) Prepare a DecCloud AMI