From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: "Egress Firewall Rules" feature FS
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2012 13:05:13 GMT
Chiradeep,

Network engineers would expect to see ALLOW and BLOCK rule
flexibility, but in most cases a default DENY ALL rule is the last
rule in a set (with only ALLOW rules above it).  In my experience,
it's usually only the more complex FW policies that use BLOCK
statements to selectively undo prior ALLOW statements.

This is something I've struggled with personally in the past (as a
designer of FW automation).  The question for us is if the flexibility
is worth the complexity.  IMO, you can always achieve the same results
using either approach (ALLOW only above the default as DENY ALL, or
BLOCK and ALLOW statements inter-mingled).

My preference would be to have it though.  That flexibility isn't
something that a user HAS to take advantage of...  but it's useful
when it's needed.

-chip