From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [ASFCS40] New source code build available (4.0.0.beta6) for testing
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2012 13:11:30 GMT
Noah,

I appreciate your attention to detail here, but I think you are
reading too much into these developer builds.

We agreed to use the betaX string earlier on the list, but really only
for the purpose of having a distinguishing characteristic in the file
names.  That's all they are for.  I'm actually going to stop doing
these builds anyway...  we're close to a vote on 4.0.0, and the value
they have provided is basically down to nil right now.  We can review
jenkins.cs.o artifacts for any actual bugs.

It's also not the approach we should be taking after 4.0.0.  I really
liked the way that couchdb does it, and want to spend the time to
instrument the build process similarly.  We're just not going to get
to that prior to 4.0.0, and I don't think it's critical to do it by
then.

As you've suggested previously, any VOTE thread will be started with
4.0.0 versioned build artifacts.  When / if we end up with a second,
third, fourth attempt, they will be the same version number.

Cheers!

-chip