From Sudha Ponnaganti <sudha.ponnaga...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [ASF40][QA] AWSAPI packging remarks
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2012 22:51:50 GMT
Hi Wido,

As we are moving towards EC2 Query API, did not prioritize this. We originally discussed if
we need to cover some aspects but decided against it as we have other projects took priority
and resources are diverted towards that.
https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/asf-cs-40-qa.html

However, we are testing it today and will provide update by tonight. Few important APIs will
be tested.

Thanks
/sudha

-----Original Message-----
From: Wido den Hollander [mailto:wido@widodh.nl]
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2012 3:47 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: [ASF40][QA] AWSAPI packging remarks

Hi,

Edison asked me last Friday if I could take a look at applying this commit for Debian as well:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-cloudstack.git;a=commitdiff;h=595ab41de6bee4115300c046c17628934cb4a35a

I'm looking into this right now and I noticed we don't even package the AWSAPI files for Debian?
I didn't notice since I never worked with this API before.

I checked out the cloud.spec file and I noticed:

%pre aws-api
id %{name} > /dev/null 2>&1 || /usr/sbin/useradd -M -c "CloudStack unprivileged
user" \
      -r -s /bin/sh -d %{_sharedstatedir}/%{name}/management %{name}|| true

# set max file descriptors for cloud user to 4096 sed -i /"cloud hard nofile"/d /etc/security/limits.conf
sed -i /"cloud soft nofile"/d /etc/security/limits.conf echo "cloud hard nofile 4096" >>
/etc/security/limits.conf echo "cloud soft nofile 4096" >> /etc/security/limits.conf
rm -rf %{_localstatedir}/cache/%{name} # user harcoded here, also hardcoded on wscript

Here we have a RPM package touching the "limits.conf" file on a system without notifying the
sysadmin? What if this file was managed by for example Puppet?

Imho we should _not_ these files but add a remark to the documentation or throw a warning
somewhere.

I'll start packaging the AWSAPI files for Debian, but I'm not planning on adding this to any
postinst/preinst files for the Debian packages.

I'm assuming this is some sort of legacy from the past somewhere?

One question remains though: How come that QA never picked up that there is no Debian packaging
at all for AWSAPI? Or did I miss this?

I found CLOUDSTACK-257, but that doesn't seem to mention anything about Debian or Ubuntu?

Wido