From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: github.com/CloudStack
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2012 14:04:30 GMT
(Please note the distribution lists used)

First off, apologies for not weighing in sooner; it seemed last week
that a simple rename was going to be done, which was a great place to
start, so I figured the community could either speak up or provide some
more details.  And thank you both for recognizing and working to assuage
each others' frustration.  8-)

One question for my edification: is this github repo primarily bits of
software that might be compiled into Apache Cloudstack directly (i.e.
that Foo Co. is likely to take Cloudstack, take a bit of this repo, and
build and sell some service directly based on the combined software
product)?  OR is this primarily for external add-ons or administrative
bits that are used to build or maintain independent services that would
live atop Cloudstack?

----

Simply the name of the github repo is not necessarily a trademark issue.
  Fundamentally, trademarks are about preventing *user* confusion.  I.e.
trademarks are designed to ensure that an informed user (in this case,
presumably a dev or sysadmin who wants to run a cloud) understands the
source of goods - here, the Apache Cloudstack software product, which
comes from the ASF and the Apache Cloudstack podling.

Thus just the name of the github repo is only partly relevant to it's
trademark 'importance' to the ASF.  What's important is how the repo is
presented to users, both in terms of the homepage and overview, and
especially in terms of any obvious "download this product" pages.

Without having read all of this thread yet or understanding exactly what
kind of software is there, my first unofficial reaction would be that if
the (P)PMC doesn't explicitly disapprove of the
"github.com/cloudstack-extras" name, then it would be OK from the
trademarks@ point of view as long as it is clearly branded to
differentiate itself from Apache Cloudstack.  For starters, the URL
should generally comply with the domain name policy:

   http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/domains.html

(Note, the domain name policy is actually about domain.names, not
/paths, however it has the clearest set of rules & rationales)

Make sense?

- Shane