From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Cloudstack 4.0.0-incubating Release, third round
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2012 13:08:44 GMT

On 25/10/2012, at 5:11 AM, Chip Childers <chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'm a bit confused by the LICENSE and NOTICE files that are in the root of the package.
>>
>> They seem to be LICENSE/NOTICE files that would be good for a binary distribution
of Cloudstack built from this package, but don't really apply to this package.  Or maybe they
were from before the dep jars were changed to be grabbed via maven and were part of the src.
   Right?

>> The license file lists license for jars in lib and aws and such that don't exist.
  Likewise for the NOTICE file.

>> Don't get me wrong.  I think these LICENSE/NOTICE files are great to have for people
that are building binary distributions of Cloudstack and having that information available
to them certainly takes much of the burden off of them, but I do question if they are appropriate
for the Apache source based releases.

>> Dan
>
> Dan,
>
> Yes, the jars referenced in the legal docs are pulled in by the
> packaging process.  The expectation was that the material would be
> brought into any packaging (including the non-asf, but community
> provided, deb/rpm's).  When looking for examples from other ASF
> projects, IIRC I saw both approaches (I'll have to dig a bit to find
> the examples that I was looking at).  At one point, I had a "*_BINARY"
> version of both files and the standard files for the source itself,
> but I then decided to simplify into a single set that would work for
> both situations.
>
> So I guess the question is this: is this an acceptable approach or not?

I don't see a problem with this - someone building the source is going to have to accept the
licenses of those non-optional dependencies too since they'll get dragged down automatically.
Perhaps the files could have a separator indicating the following apply only to binaries built
from the sources in future releases?

- Brett

--
Brett Porter