incubator-cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Prasanna Santhanam <>
Subject Re: [ASF40][DISCUSS] Split AWS API / CloudBridge into a separate project
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2012 12:40:20 GMT
On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 08:14:12AM -0400, Rohit Yadav wrote:
> Hi Wido,
> Thanks for starting this thread. I was about to post something on this issue.
> On 09-Oct-2012, at 5:02 PM, Wido den Hollander <> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 
> > I started a innocent thread on the -dev list yesterday[0] about some 
> > packaging remarks regarding the AWS API aka CloudBridge.
> > 
> > This turned out to be a rather large thread where Edison mentioned[1] we 
> > might want to split this out into a separate repository.
> > 
> > Some time ago we agreed that we don't want to split CloudStack up into 
> > multiple smaller projects since it would be very hard to keep all the 
> > projects in sync.
> I agree, splitting into multiple subproject will make it hard for us to keep up.
> But, awsapi is not actually part of the project.
> > 
> > I'm now looking at packaging AWS API into Deb files as by CS-294[2], but 
> > I'm thinking about Edison's remark.
> > 
> > I know this question might come at a awkward moment, just prior to the 
> > 4.0 release, but when I create a cloud-awsapi Debian package people will 
> > start using it and we'll be dealing with the legacy at a later point.
> I agree. The awsapi servlet runs separately on port 7080 and communicates/forward request
to CloudStack's 8080 like any other client.
> So, we can separate that out in its own repository which totally makes sense, as it's
just a wrapper for a client.
> > 
> > If we create a "cloudbridge" package separate from the cloud-* packages 
> > we can move forward from there.
> > 
> > At the old Github account[3] there is even a separate CloudBridge 
> > repository, this got merged into master on May 25th of this year with 
> > commit bc7dbd7d9681dc2729326ff78fb5fe586b336b25
> > 
> > Since 4.0 is not out of the door yet, do we want to keep this in the 
> > cloudstack repository or split it out (again)?
> For 4.0, a lot of QA and bug fixes have been already done. Splitting
> out this point of time may cause further delay and unseen issues.
> While I agree with the idea, I suggest how about we do this after 4.0 release.
> >From my side, all the awsapi issues are resolved (unless QA reopens any issue).
> I don't think we would want to change anything in the build system at this point of time.
> > 
> > I've seen numerous build failures with awsapi breaking master while it's 
> > not actually a part of the code base, so in this case I'm in favor of 
> > breaking it out, but we should discuss this.
> +1 to breakout, but to breakout only after 4.0 release.

+1 for breaking out in to a seperate deb/rpm package. 

I can't remember the rationale for merging cloudbridge into
cloudstack to begin with. Perhaps someone can provide that context. If
I remember, cloudbridge running on port 8080 would call cloudstack
also listening on port 8080. If deployed on the same machine this
would starve the threads on the single socket. By listening on 7080
reduces the complexity. Deployment for end-users is also simplified -
install cloudstack + enable global setting - all in one machine and
ready to go.

But await to hear from someone in the know, the reasons for merging
the project into Cloudstack in the first place.

Decision to kick it out of the repo at this point will (I think)
save QA effort for now but also hurt existing users of this feature,
if any.


View raw message