From Min Chen <min.c...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: Display Name vs. Host Name in Instance View
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2012 21:43:54 GMT
Thanks Kelven for clear clarifications. Based on your comments:

In 3.0.x, host name is given by default as UUID name for user Vms, for system Vms, host name
is given the same as its instance name

The UI screenshot attached previously is wrong, right? Those are user VMs, host name are shown
as the same as display name.

-min

From: Kelven Yang
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2012 2:38 PM
To: Min Chen; #Cloud - Engineering
Subject: Re: Display Name vs. Host Name in Instance View

There are 3 types of names in CloudStack system.

Display Name: as its name suggests
Host name: a name will be used by guest VM to identify itself on network. If guest OS is linux,
you can see it at your login prompt. If guest OS is windows, it is supposed to become its
NetBIOS name (computer name).
Host name can be used to form fully qualified Domain Name, but itself won't show as that.

In 3.0.x, host name is given by default as UUID name for user Vms, for system Vms, host name
is given the same as its instance name

Instance name: name like I-xx-xx, r-xx-xx, these are name used internally by CloudStack to
match a VM object in CloudStack DB with the VM at hypervisor side through naming match rules.
It's name convention is used by CloudStack VM-Sync process (not supposed to be exposed to
end user)

Kelven