From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Poll (was Re: IRC Meeting Times)
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2012 17:29:05 GMT

On Sep 10, 2012, at 12:32 PM, Alex Huang <Alex.Huang@citrix.com> wrote:

>> The main "Red Flag" to me was the line:
>>
>> AGREED: continue using waf to build rpm package  (jlkinsel, 17:24:57)
>>
>> As soon as I saw "AGREED", a little red flag popped up in my head wondering
>> if a decision had been made on IRC that should have been done on the list.   I
>> believe this had been discussed to death on the list already (need to double
>> check, very busy list) and a quick link to show that would definitely been
>> helpful.
>
> That's a really good point.  Here the agreement was that waf is the temporary solution
to continue to use to get 4.0 release out.  It's not an agreement on long term direction of
CloudStack.  Does it still count as a decision?  I mean there's tons of these types of "decisions"
made during the IRC?  For example, who's going to help with what work.  Todo lists being generated.
 Etc.  Do these all count as decisions?

As Noah stated, it's kind of a gray area and is something you'll likely need to adjust as
you move forward, learn what works and doesn't, etc…   A lot of it can depend exactly on
how it's presented in the minutes/log.   If it was presented more like:

No one present has time to look at other options for RPM packaging right now so planning on
sticking with waf for now.

then it wouldn't have raised any red flags to me at all.  That shows that its more of a "remain
status quo" for now, but also allows others that were not on the irc chat to say "hey, I have
some time, can I help out with that" or something.   Keeps the door open.    The "AGREED"
wording just seems to imply "we're doing this, discussion closed" type thing which really
isn't the case.

--
Daniel Kulp