From Chiradeep Vittal <Chiradeep.Vit...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: [ASFCS40][DISCUSS] How should we move forward to resolution on the config files in "patches"? Was: "Re: [ASFCS40] Configuration file licensing followup"
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 01:39:45 GMT

On 9/24/12 5:35 PM, "Chip Childers" <chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Chiradeep Vittal
><Chiradeep.Vittal@citrix.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 9/21/12 8:37 PM, "Chip Childers" <chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:

>>>Wow, this is fantastic news!
>>>
>>>Yes, thee RAT stuff probably needs to be adjusted a bit (which I'll
>>>happily own). We also need to do the licensing stuff for the files
>>>originally included from other projects (again, I'm more than willing
>>>to get that done early next week).
>>>
>>>For that unresolved issue, perhaps we can try what Joe did for
>>>CLOUDSTACK-146?  Does someone want to try and track down the orig
>>>developer?  If not, this is a specific item that we can ask for an
>>>exception on from the legal folks.
>>>
>>>-chip
>>
>> There is no "original developer", it is a delta from the stock Debian
>> config.
>
>By "original developer", I meant that we could go to the source
>project for the file itself and ask what claims they believe they have
>on the file (and / or willingness to change).  Does it make sense to
>try that?

Sorry, let me clarify. The config file is probably authored by Debian
developers,
likely based on a template from the original authors. That is, there are
multiple developers
involved unlike the dnsmasq case which had a single author.

Given that the delta from the Debian config is a few lines of key-value
bindings, we can either
A) vote on whether this constitutes an acceptable use
B) ask for legal ruling
C) develop some way of patching the original with this delta.

--
Chiradeep