From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: Plans for cloudstack.org
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2012 14:58:14 GMT
On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 4:49 AM, Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What are the current plans for cloudstack.org? Do we want to move this to
> ASF infra?

So there are several complications. The first is all of the user
information that is contained in the site - ~35,000 people have
registered on the site and provided varying levels of information.
Ranging from username and email address to name, location, employer,
hypervisor, pictures of birthday parties etc. Transferring that
information without explicit consent, even to an organization as noble
as the ASF seems like a bad idea.
This also is problematic from a content standpoint as I have no idea
how to transfer all of the forum messages sans the link back to
accounts, etc.

Second - the site is a complex collection of Joomla atop Linux with
plenty of Joomla modules - that's a tedious assembly exercise, and
something that requires ongoing maintenance from a security
perspective. I _think_ this is largely outsourced at the moment to a
specialized Joomla contractor.

Finally there's the issue of getting this up and running - it appears
that it is a non-trivial amount of time and effort, and would likely
require someone who is a committer to setup and maintain - and AFAIK
no one has yet stepped up to do that work.

So in summary - migrating the existing cs.o site to ASF infra is a lot
of work, and much of the value of the existing site would be
diminished with the loss of user data.  Additionally no one has yet
signed up to do that work.  We could as Wido noted redirect that to
the project site (http://incubator.apache.org/cloudstack), which is in
SVN, content maintained by the project and underlying infrastructure
maintained by ASF infra.

And to answer Wido's other question - DNS for cs.o is still
administered by several Citrix employees - at some point that will
also need to migrate to the ASF.

--David