From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject [DISCUSS] Install.sh vs. pacakge repos
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2012 15:45:23 GMT
On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 8:23 AM, Wido den Hollander <wido@widodh.nl> wrote:
> On 09/11/2012 12:16 PM, Suresh Sadhu wrote:
>>
>> HI All,
>>
>> Installer fail to read the cloud packages  and MS installation on Ubuntu
>> 12.04 was not successful(No packages were installed) Raised a blocker bug.
>> Please find the issue details in the below mentioned issue:
>>

> I'd like to bring this up again, do we REALLY want this install.sh script?

This really deserves its own thread, because it won't receive the
attention it deserves in the original thread.

I talked with infra about this a few weeks back, and while they said
they really wanted downstreams to package, they weren't vehemently
opposed to use creating our own repo, but we'd have to figure out how
to make it work with the mirror system.

Personally - the packages as they exist are great for people doing a
first, small scale install, but it doesn't scale. While I am not
necessarily opposed to the installer, I also recognize the problems
from a real world deployment perspective.

However, there is an impact, at a minimum all of our documentation
will need rewriting, so personally, I'd prefer that for 4.0.0 - that
we do repos if we can figure it out in time, and keep the installer as
an option as well.

--David