From Richard Downer <richard.dow...@cloudsoftcorp.com>
Subject Template status field via API
Date Sat, 01 Sep 2012 16:37:56 GMT
Hi,

I'm working on the jclouds project, and its support for the CloudStack API.
I'm looking at the responses for the listTemplates command, status field.
This field appears to include English text which describes the template
state, presumably ready to go straight into a UI element. But jclouds
prefers to have enumerated types, so it wants to parse the strings and
return a known enum to its users.

I've been examining the CloudStack source code, and it seems that this is
the piece of code responsible for writing that field:
https://github.com/CloudStack/CloudStack/blob/e2e76c70ec51bfb35d755371f6c33856cef8a277/server/src/com/cloud/api/ApiResponseHelper.java#L1968

First question - do I have that right, or is this response field from
somewhere else? (I'm a bit of a newbie at the CloudStack codebase.)

Here are the possible strings that the field could be set to:
  - Processing
  - Installing Template
  - x% Downloaded
  - Download Complete
  - Successfully Installed

Second question - what states lead to each of these statuses? In
particular, I'm uncertain of the final one, "Successfully Installed". By
using the registerTemplate command I was able to see most of the other
status strings, but I haven't yet seen the last one. Is it reachable, and
if so by what route?

Last question - are there significant differences between 2.2.x and 3.0.x
in this area?

Many thanks,

--
Richard Downer • Lead Engineer • Cloudsoft Corporation •
http://www.cloudsoftcorp.com