From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: [CONFIG FILES] License headers
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 09:52:49 GMT
We can't disavow copyright on files because we don't consider them creative
works.

What we can do, however, is use a simple persmissive license, like this:

"Copying and distribution of this file, with or without modification, are
permitted in any medium without royalty provided the copyright notice and
this notice are preserved. This file is offered as-is, without any
warranty."

I have taken this from here:

http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/License-Notices-for-Other-Files.html

I can follow this up on legal-discuss if people are interested in using
this in our config files.

For third party files (anything more complex than key, value assignments)
we cannot add our own license header. But we should be making a note of the
author, copyright, and parent project URL in the NOTICE file, as I mention
on another thread.

--
NS