From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: Automating ASL license check
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2012 19:25:20 GMT
On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 6:51 AM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@citrix.com> wrote:
> I started writing a home-brew script (http://bhaisaab.org/contribs/testlicense.py) to
check the license, but then found licensecheck.pl (written by adam baratt based on a script
by david faure of KDE) that checks for all sorts of licenses. For Fedora/Ubuntu users, the
script is in the devscripts package.

> Scripts; (licensecheck.sh is a wrapper over licensecheck.pl, for cloudstack specific
logic)
> http://bhaisaab.org/contribs/licensecheck.sh
> http://bhaisaab.org/contribs/licensecheck.pl
>
> Usage:
> sh licensecheck.sh <path to root dir of apache cloudstack git repo>
>
> Example:
> sh licensecheck.sh incubator-cloudstack/
>
> Output:
> <Name of the file>: <Copyright info, UNKNOWN, Apache, MIT, BSD etc.>
>
> Based on HEAD=083cef37, please check if it works:
> http://bhaisaab.org/cloudstack-checklicense.txt
>
> Do we need to fix/add Apache license for:
>  - text files (README, INSTALL, NOTICE etc.)
>  - configuration files
>  - awsapi (top level LICENSE suggest they're BSD 3-clause)
>  - deps
>  - docs
>  - patches/
>  - plugins
>  - apidocs/
>  - tools
>  - ui
>
> Regards,
> Rohit Yadav

Rohit,

This is very cool, but doesn't RAT do most of this for us?

I know that we had some issues with the initial reports not providing
an accurate indication of the stray Citrix license headers, but I
think that is resolved now.  I would suggest that another manual QA of
the files would be helpful.

Once we are at a stable state (with the appropriate exclude properties
set the RAT Maven plugin config at the top level pom.xml), we would
have an automatic solution tied into Maven for auditing compliance.

Does that work?

-chip