From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: [ASFCS40] Packaging and LICENSE file
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2012 06:26:12 GMT

On 26-Sep-2012, at 1:34 AM, Chip Childers <chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:

> Questions for the packaging folks:
>
> Should our reference package configs include the LICENSE and NOTICE
> files from the root of the repo as part of the installed files for the
> software?

Do we need these files, both of them, or  use small version of the license, like the debian/copyright

For debian packages, all such (changelog, license, NEWS) files should go into /usr/share/doc/${artifactId}/
Thanks, I'll configure the maven deb/rpm plugins to put top level ${project.parent.basedir}/
LICENSE files to these paths.

> If so, do we do that already for Deb packages?  I'm not too familiar
> with DEB packaging (I'm a .spec guy myself), but I didn't see those
> files specifically called out anywhere.

Old debs which were created by waf used to include the license/copyright file.
Currently, dpkgbuild/debuild does not copy those files, though we already have the copyright
file in the debian/
I think all we need to do is add: dh_installdocs
to the debian/rules

@Wido: Can you please check the rules file and help us to include those files for deb packaging?

For rpms, we can have this in cloud.spec for each package, will post a patch:
%doc debian/copyright
%doc <path to file to be included>

> Also if so, we'll need to add those files to cloud.spec.

+1