From Radhika Puthiyetath <radhika.puthiyet...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DOC] Documentation for CS 4.0
Date Sat, 29 Sep 2012 03:03:30 GMT
Hi Jamshid,

Excellent work.

Thank you for reaching out to us.

You can submit the documentation as a patch to the cloudstack community.
Any of us can pick the patch for review, then submit.

The complete information on how you can submit a documentation patch is given at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/How+To+Work+With+CloudStack+Documentation.
Hope it is helpful.

Alternatively,  I can pick this piece of documentation and submit for review. Let us know
how we want to go ahead with documentation submission.

-Radhika

From: jamshid69@gmail.com [mailto:jamshid69@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Jamshid Afshar
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2012 11:49 PM
To: Radhika Puthiyetath
Subject: Re: [DOC] Documentation for CS 4.0

Hi, Radhika. I am Jamshid, I work for Caringo and implemented the adapter which talks to Caringo
instead of the file system. How should I submit the documentation? Below is what I've written
up for internal use, is that the information you need? CloudStack users can get CAStor and
a free license at http://www.caringo.com/company/contact.html.
Installation and configuration

To install you just install and setup CloudStack 4.0 as you normally would (CloudStack 4.0
releases in September). You only need to change storage.root configuration variable to point
to CAStor and specify the domain you want streams to be written to. By default storage.root
will point to a directory in your file system.

 1.  Install CloudStack 4.0, e.g. from source by following INSTALL.txt (deploydb, deploy-server,
and run). Tip: you don't have to actually setup/install the CloudStack vm or network environment
in order to use the S3 storage piece.
 2.  Set enable.s3.api = true in console and register a user. https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/s3-api-in-cloudstack.html
 3.  Change storage.root in cloud-bridge.properties to begin with the word castor. You can
specify the domain to which streams will be written, or if domain is not specified it will
use the CAStor default domain (the cluster name is the default domain). Then either list some
node ip's orzeroconf and the cluster name. The last value is optionally a port (otherwise
defaults to 80).

4.

5.       #storage.root=/Users/john1/S3-Mount

6.       storage.root=castor domain=cloudstack 172.16.78.131 172.16.78.130 80

7.       #storage.root=castor domain=cloudstack zeroconf=castor.example.com<http://castor.example.com>

 *   If the domain has not been created in CAStor, you will get an error 412 in the awsapi.log
like this (though client appears to get a 404):

*

*               2012-08-24 16:41:48,656 ERROR [bridge.io.S3CAStorBucketAdapter] (catalina-exec-int-13:null)
CAStor unable to create bucket bucket-1345844508 because domain cloudstack does not exist

*               2012-08-24 16:41:48,661 ERROR [bridge.service.S3RestServlet] (catalina-exec-int-13:null)
Unexpected exception CAStor unable to create bucket bucket-1345844508: 412

*               com.cloud.bridge.service.exception.OutOfStorageException: CAStor unable to
create bucket bucket-1345844508: 412

*                 at com.cloud.bridge.io.S3CAStorBucketAdapter.createContainer(S3CAStorBucketAdapter.java:204)

*                 at com.cloud.bridge.service.core.s3.S3Engine.allocBucketStorageHost(S3Engine.java:1448)

*                 ....

 *   In this initial release, PUT will spool to file system before writing to CAStor.
 *   Multipart file uploads via the S3 api is not yet implemented.

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 3:54 AM, Radhika Puthiyetath <radhika.puthiyetath@citrix.com<mailto:radhika.puthiyetath@citrix.com>>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am planning to take up the following feature documentation:
>
> -Niciria Integration
>
> -Caringo
>
> The contact points, please do get in touch with me at the earliest.
>
> I assume that nobody has signed up yet to work on these feature. I can take them up as
a priority and complete at the earliest.

> Regards
> -Radhika

on the 4.0 branch so Edison is cherry-picking things over right now so it is okay to start
your work of merging into master.

> --Alex

Chip.