From Sowmya Krishnan <sowmya.krish...@citrix.com>
Subject [ASF40] [QA] Issue with volume Snapshot on KVM
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:38:58 GMT
Hi,

I am trying to take snapshot of volume on KVM (RHEL6.3) and I am getting an exception that
says it isn't supported:

2012-09-26 15:09:11,411 ERROR [cloud.api.ApiDispatcher] (Job-Executor-16:job-27) Exception
while executing CreateSnapshotCmd:
com.cloud.utils.exception.CloudRuntimeException: KVM Snapshot is not supported on cluster:
5
        at com.cloud.storage.snapshot.SnapshotManagerImpl.createSnapshot(SnapshotManagerImpl.java:424)
        at com.cloud.utils.component.ComponentLocator$InterceptorDispatcher.intercept(ComponentLocator.java:1231)
        at com.cloud.storage.snapshot.SnapshotManagerImpl.createSnapshot(SnapshotManagerImpl.java:130)
        at com.cloud.api.commands.CreateSnapshotCmd.execute(CreateSnapshotCmd.java:155)
        at com.cloud.api.ApiDispatcher.dispatch(ApiDispatcher.java:138)
        at com.cloud.async.AsyncJobManagerImpl$1.run(AsyncJobManagerImpl.java:432)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:334)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679)

I am on build: Git Revision: 995bab60385f7d663680ef6f5342056c6db3d305
It's working fine on Ubuntu 12.04 and XS 6.0.2.

Here's the DB extract of 'host' table on RHEL6.3 vs Ubuntu12.04:

RHEL 6.3:
=======

mysql> select id, status, type, hypervisor_type, capabilities from cloud.host;
+----+--------+--------------------+-----------------+--------------+
| id | status | type               | hypervisor_type | capabilities |
+----+--------+--------------------+-----------------+--------------+
|  1 | Up     | Routing            | KVM             | hvm          |
|  2 | Alert  | SecondaryStorage   | None            | NULL         |
|  3 | Up     | SecondaryStorageVM | NULL            | NULL         |
|  4 | Up     | ConsoleProxy       | NULL            | NULL         |
|  5 | Up     | Routing            | KVM             | hvm          |
+----+--------+--------------------+-----------------+--------------+
5 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Ubuntu 12.04:
===========

mysql>  select id, status, type, hypervisor_type, capabilities from cloud.host;
+----+--------+--------------------+-----------------+--------------+
| id | status | type               | hypervisor_type | capabilities |
+----+--------+--------------------+-----------------+--------------+
|  1 | Up     | Routing            | KVM             | hvm          |
|  2 | Alert  | SecondaryStorage   | None            | NULL         |
|  3 | Up     | ConsoleProxy       | NULL            | NULL         |
|  4 | Up     | SecondaryStorageVM | NULL            | NULL         |
|  5 | Up     | Routing            | KVM             | hvm,snapshot |
|  6 | Up     | Routing            | KVM             | hvm          |
6 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Am I missing any additional package to be installed for snapshot to work on KVM?

I have the following versions of qemu-img and qemu-kvm installed on my host:

[root@rhel63 ~]# rpm -qa | grep qemu
gpxe-roms-qemu-0.9.7-6.9.el6.noarch
qemu-img-0.12.1.2-2.295.el6.x86_64
qemu-kvm-0.12.1.2-2.295.el6.x86_64