From Prachi Damle <Prachi.Da...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: need advice on awsapi docs
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2012 20:26:20 GMT
-----Original Message-----
From: sebgoa [mailto:runseb@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:50 PM
To: cloudstack
Subject: need advice on awsapi docs

Hi,

I am working on the new EC2 documentation.
The CloudPlatform doc that I am looking at, as well as other web pages mention the script:
cloudstack-aws-api-register

for instance:
"Register the mapping from the X.509 certificate to the API/Secret keys. Download the following
script from http://download.cloud.com/releases.3.0.3/cloudstack-aws-api-register and run it.
Substitute the values you obtained from the administrator in the URL below."

It's a Python script. The interesting function from the file download on the web is:

def register(url, api_key, secret_key, cert):
    # Register API keys
    query = 'accesskey=' + api_key + '&secretkey=' + secret_key
    get_url(url, api_key, secret_key, 'SetUserKeys', query)

    # Tie Certifcate to API keys
    query = 'cert=' + urllib.quote_plus(cert)
    get_url(url, api_key, secret_key, 'SetCertificate', query)

In the source it's at: awsapi-setup/setup/cloudstack-aws-api.register and the function is:

def register(url, api_key, secret_key, cert):
    # Register API keys
    query = 'accesskey=' + api_key + '&secretkey=' + secret_key
    result = get_url(url, api_key, secret_key, 'SetUserKeys', query)

    if result == True:
            # Tie Certifcate to API keys
            query = 'cert=' + urllib.quote_plus(cert)
            get_url(url, api_key, secret_key, 'SetCertificate', query)

Currently, even if you only want to use the REST interface you will need to register your
cert.

So couple things that I need advice on:

1-Do we make this script available on the web or in source ? If we choose the web (like now),
where should this script be (not on download.cloud.com I presume) ?
	we can't really expect users to download the source of CloudStack to get a single python
script.
[Rajesh Battala]
This script will be available as a command when user installs the cloud.

>>[Prachi] I think the script should be made available for download for users so that
they don't have to pull the source code. I am not sure what location we should use though.

2-The register function calls, SetUserKeys and SetCertificate. Does the REST service work
if we do not set the certificate ?
[Rajesh Battala]  the script will work even if the certificate file is empty.

>>[Prachi] The register script is used for user registration for both SOAP and REST.
For REST, even if the cert is empty, it should not matter as REST API calls do not use it
anyways.

thoughts,

-Sebastien