From Jessica Tomechak <Jessica.Tomec...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: conserve mode for network offering
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2012 00:49:47 GMT
Alena,
Thanks for the cc. Could you or Mice please file this as a doc bug? We can use the new Apache
Jira instance:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK

Full instructions on how to fill out a doc bug are here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+Documentation+Contributors+Overview#CloudStackDocumentationContributorsOverview-FilingaDocBug

Jessica T.
CloudStack Tech Pubs

-----Original Message-----
From: Alena Prokharchyk
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 9:59 AM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org; Jessica Tomechak
Subject: Re: conserve mode for network offering

On 9/4/12 11:27 PM, "Mice Xia" <mice_xia@tcloudcomputing.com> wrote:

>Hi, all
>
>I noticed when 'conserve mode' is not checked for a network offering,
>the guest network created from this offering cannot do port forwarding
>and load balance if sourceNat is enabled.
>After checking network.js and wiki [1], I realized it was by design and
>much complicated than document said:
>    'Conserve mode. Indicate whether to use conserve mode. In this
>mode, network resources are allocated only when the first virtual
>machine starts in the network.'
>
>Can someone explain why 'conserve mode' behave this way? Thanks.
>
>[1] http://wiki.cloudstack.org/display/QA/Network+Offering
>
>Regards
>Mice

Mice, this description is wrong, the documentation has to be fixed. Adding Jessica to the
thread.

Conserve mode ON means that all public ip addresses associated with this network, can be used
for multiple purposes at the same time (PF/LB). When the mode is off, the ip can serve only
one purpose at a time.

For static nat it's quite different though. Doesn't matter if conserve mode is on or off,
when static nat is enabled, no PF/LB rule can be created for the IP. Only Firewall rules can
be added using createFirewallRule command.

-Alena.