From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: FS for host updates notifications
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2012 14:04:30 GMT
On 09/24/2012 03:33 PM, Sanjay Tripathi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are working on the feature - "Xenserver updates notification" which will list the
updates that are available for any XenServer host.

> The functional spec for the feature:  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/XenServer+updates+notification
>
> Please let me know your suggestions/comments.

I'm not sure if this is the task for CloudStack.

If we go down this path, are we also going to check if new apt/yum
updates are available on KVM platforms?

CloudStack should set a minimum version of which the Xen server should
be updated to to work with properly, but I don't think CloudStack should
actually be checking which updates are available.

Where does it end? Later on we are also going to check if a update for
the F5 loadbalancer is available or for the NetScaler or for a Brocade
switch?

It's only adding code to the management server which needs to stay
simplistic imho.

These kinds of task should be outsourced to tools like Zabbix, Nagios,
Incinga, SolarWinds, etc, but I don't think this is something CloudStack
should do.

Wido