From Joe Brockmeier <...@zonker.net>
Subject Re: [DOCS] Using DITA vs. Docbook for documentation?
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2012 20:07:50 GMT
On Thu, Sep 20, 2012, at 01:59 PM, Jessica Tomechak wrote:
> Recently someone from the docs world asked me why we are using Docbook +
> Publican for our documentation, rather than DITA. I gave a reasonable
> reply, but in the end, I thought it would be worth bringing the topic up
> here. For the record, I'm not proposing or advocating anything. Just
> looking for the community temperature.
>
> Some benefits listed by this DITA advocate I was speaking with:
>
> Simpler tagging than Docbook

How much simpler? Publican's tagging is pretty simple. It's not
Markdown-simple, but it's not that bad.

> It’s open source, has open source community developing useful plugins,
> such as latest webhelp output

Publican is also open source, so I don't see any benefit to DITA over
DocBook/Publican in that regard.

Publican has PDF and HTML - it looks like Webhelp is just XHTML with
styling/etc. Is there anything native to webhelp that we don't get from
Publican's HTML output?

We've already put a fair amount of effort into the existing Publican
stuff - so I'd want to see something pretty darn nifty to throw that out
in favor of a new format or have a tool that can easily convert Publican
-> DITA...

Best,

Joe
--