From "Kelcey Damage \(BBITS\)" <kel...@bbits.ca>
Subject RE: Need detail cloudstack networking document ???
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2012 23:02:40 GMT
I might have something for you...

KELCEY DAMAGE
Infrastructure Systems Architect
www.backbonetechnology.com
kelcey@bbits.ca

address: 55 East 7th Ave, Vancouver, BC, V5T 1M4
tel: +1 604 713 8560 ext:114
fax: +1 604 605 0964
skype: kelcey.damage

-----Original Message-----
From: Clayton Weise [mailto:cweise@iswest.net]
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 3:52 PM
To: 'CloudStack DeveloperList'; 'CloudStack Users'
Subject: RE: Need detail cloudstack networking document ???

There isn't much there in that regard.  Nothing that explains the relationship between network
offerings, what isolated or shared networks are, when they are required, and what the difference
between them are.  They are mentioned briefly in the admin guide but nothing that really describes
them in any detail.

I posted a question about this a while back and didn't hear back from anybody at CS.  Geoff
Higginbottom from ShapeBlue was kind enough to respond with something he wrote (http://www.shapeblue.com/2012/05/01/cloudstack-networking-considerations/)
and while it does a great job explaining the different networking models (basic and advanced)
there is nothing that I am aware of which explains compute offerings, network offerings, and
the various options available when creating a new network offering.

I would be happy to write some documentation in for this on the wiki if I understood it better
myself but it's still a mystery to me.  Does anybody know much about network offerings that
could provide an overview of them?  Are there existing documents out there that we can reference?