From "Kelcey Damage \(BBITS\)" <kel...@bbits.ca>
Subject RE: CloudStack UI: New widget library development
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2012 20:04:25 GMT
Hmm, this is cool, as I have had an inkling to build desktop widgets for CS data. And I would
like to build a Metro interface... yeah I know, it's pure evil.

I think what you're doing has great potential.

KELCEY DAMAGE
Infrastructure Systems Architect
www.backbonetechnology.com
kelcey@bbits.ca

address: 55 East 7th Ave, Vancouver, BC, V5T 1M4
tel: +1 604 713 8560 ext:114
fax: +1 604 605 0964
skype: kelcey.damage

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Federle [mailto:Brian.Federle@citrix.com]
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2012 12:48 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: CloudStack UI: New widget library development

Hi All,

In an effort to improve the user interface architecture and promote reusability, I am compiling
all common UI elements present in CloudStack into a robust widget library. The main focus
will be to improve UI developers' experience and to allow other people to utilize the widgets
in their own projects.

Here are some of the improvements planned:

-Organize all current components into separate, easy to use widgets,
 particularly:

  -Sliding panel system
  -Table list
  -Details table
  -Form dialog

  -Navigation system

  -Tree view

-Complete test coverage with qunit, for all widget features

-Easy-to-read documentation on how the widgets work and their  parameters

-More modular architecture, to prevent code duplication and to isolate  specific features
for better maintainability.

As I am in the design phase right now for this widget library, I would love to hear from the
community on how to improve the CloudStack UI
codebase:

-Any way to make the widgets/UI easier to maintain

-Things you don't like about developing with the current UI

-Any new features that would be beneficial

I'm doing development right now on a github repository, but ultimately once complete the library
will make its way back into the CloudStack project source. Feel free to browse/pull/watch
the code there:

https://github.com/bfederle/cloud-ui-toolkit/

Also, I'll post some initial documentation soon, which will describe how the widgets can be
implemented, etc.

-Brian